Thursday, August 22, 2013

2013-2014 Philosophy & Curriculum

So...my last post ended with me saying I would be writing about my philosophy of homeschooling and how it has morphed. Let's just say I have decided we are a little delight directed, a little eclectic and somewhat relaxed in our homeschool. Letting go of 19 years of public school was a little bit difficult. But, I needed to do it. I truly believe that God created us unique and that our "schooling" should not look the same. This year instead of purchasing curriculum with everything already completely planned out, I am using a hodgepodge of different things. Here goes...

Haley will be a junior and Cole & Garrett are in eighth grade this year (I CANNOT believe it!). We will be studying history and bible/biblical worldview all together. I am using an amazing resource called TruthQuest History as my guiding piece de resistance! I LOVE Michelle Miller's commentary and thoroughness. We are using the Renaissance/Reformation/Exploration guide for the bulk of the year and then will head into Age of Revolution I. Cole & Garrett will be using another FABULOUS resource called Mystery of History Vol. III. Haley will be using a combination of several different things, but nothing in its entirety. Some of the books/resources she'll be using are: Exploring World History by Notgrass, The Story of Liberty & Sweet Land of Liberty by Charles Coffin, Heroes of the Faith, Renaissance & Reformation Times, and a few other books. Biblical worldview is woven beautifully into Truthquest.

It only makes sense to integrate geography into our history studies so we will be using the maps from Mystery of History as well as Map Trek. We will be creating a timeline this year using a timeline book from Miller Pads and Paper and the timeline pieces from Homeschool in the Woods (I just adore all of Amy Pak's stuff!). I also plan on incorporating some lapbooking and notebooking using resources I have found all over the internet! All 3 of my kiddos like hands-on stuff and despise reading (I, for the life of me don't know where they got such a distaste for reading, as I LOVE to read. It just kills me!).

For our bible we are using  Life in the Word from Simply Charlotte Mason. We will be learning how to do a book study, Word study, Topical study, Doctrinal study, Narrative study and Character study in the bible. Really looking forward to that!

For math we are using Math Relief Algebra I and II. We really like how he explain things so clearly!

Haley will be integrating science into her study of photography this year learning about light, aperture, color, etc. She will be using the videos from Lynda.com as well as some books and curriculum given to her by a photographer who is mentoring her. The boys decided they wanted to study astronomy this year so we are using Our Universe from Answers in Genesis and Christian Kids Explore Earth & Space from the Christian Kids Explore series along with Khan Academy and some other cool websites and books.

Reading & writing will be integrated into history as much as possible for the boys. I'm also using Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide to Middle School. Haley is really feeling like God may be calling her to some type of mission work, so most of her LA will be using missionary biographies and other books, along with BraveWriter's Help For High School.

We are also spending a couple of hours one day a week at the Round Rock Serving Center and PE will be at the YMCA.

Whew! That's a lot, but I'm really excited about this year. I can't wait to get started.                                                                                                                                 God’s Design for Heaven and Earth: Our Universe  The Mystery of History Volume III

No comments: